Friday, September 5, 2014

Beowulf - Your Sins Will Find You Out

As I sat watching the movie my initial thoughts were, "What in the world is going on?" I knew a bit of the story from previous exposure to the work in my high school English class however, I had opted out of watching the movie based on moral conviction. I didn't want to watch a movie based on a work that I perceived to contain elements of Spirituality that I just wasn't comfortable with. However, this time around, although still not at peace with the literary work, I decided to watch the movie for the class. As I sat watching Grendel overturn the room and demolish innocent subjects I struggled with the idea of sitting through the movie and watching more action  occur through the hands of this "charming" beast. Although mildly disturbed and a bit creeped out I decided to stay and watch the film in it's entirety. Maybe it was time to try and gain a full picture of what this literary work had to offer. I sat back and watched, sometimes with downcast eyes, through both the peaceful and the gory elements of the movie. As the story unfolded I found a depth to this tale that I didn't realize existed until now. The story of Beowulf is filled with moral principles that upon discovery can benefit into lifelong lessons. There is a Biblical principle that states, "Be sure your sins will find you out." This quote reminds me of  King Hrothgar in Bewoulf. The King, although happily married to his Queen Wealhtheow, one day falls under the spell of Grendel's mother and she conceives a child that since  birth has plagued his kingdom. Now, not only does he have to live with the remorse of cheating on his beloved queen, but he also has caused harm to come to a country that he has been given the duty of protecting. It is because of one small act made in lust, that he now faces a consequence that not only affects his family but has caused heartache and pain to come to his kingdom. I can only imagine the sense of remorse that King Hrothgar could have felt as he watches his very own son destroy the subjects of his kingdom. Next, we have the Hero Beowulf who comes to slay Grendel and though successful, he finds himself caught in the very same snare as King Hrothgar. Beowulf has now resurfaced that same curse in which he came to remedy now on the subjects of a kingdom that believe him to be their savior. The quote states, "Be sure your sins will find you out." Both King Hrothgar and Beowulf committed secret sins. There was no widespread public knowledge of the mistakes that they had made with Grendel's mother, however their sins eventually in time, found them out. Each conceived children that caused widespread pain and destruction to their kingdom. Had it not been for that one little indulgence of sin, or that one safeguard let down for the sake of temporary pleasure, there would have been peace throughout the kingdom. There would have been no feeling of fear and unrest among the citizens, no man eating beast to terrorize the land, no guilty conscience to weigh down the mind of an aged and wise king, and no need for a Hero to save the country from one man's sin. A lifelong curse brought about through one man's simple decision that in the long run caused more pain than all the pleasures of the world could remedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment