Friday, September 19, 2014

Beowulf

I'm glad that we watched the movie version of Beowulf. Trying to read and understand the written language and actually enjoy it is virtually impossible.  I had also seen the movie before and It was interesting to see this take on what it was that I had read in the book. A lot of things where different, but I liked the creative liberties taken. One of my favorite "liberties" was the depiction of Grendel's mother. In the book she is an old hag who lives in a swamp who is the mother of a monster. When you hear this you do not think... Angelina Jolie. Grendel's mother was a beautiful vixen who lived that the bottom of the sea, who was just as cunning as she was beautiful. And what also got me was that when she made the deal with Beowulf, it was that she would actually bear a son by him. I guess when I read this I didn't understand the full brunt of the situation. And then the dragon, who was Beowulf and Grendel's mothers son came back to terrorize them. But when this happened, a villager said the dragon said something about the sins of the father. I believe I remember reading this is the story, but all of this definatly did not come together for me like this until I had watched the movie. It's amazing what you will miss when trying to understand the words rather than what the words are saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment