Friday, September 26, 2014

The York Play of the Crucifixion

The York Play of the Crucifixion is another perspective on the death of Christ.This story is very different from anything else I've ever read as far as the crucifixion is concerned. By taking the same story and showing it to the audience through the eyes of the four soldiers, changed my outlook. As a Christian, when I think of Jesus dying on the cross, I think of sorrow and sacrifice. It is a sad thing to think about because Christ, a sinless being, died for our sins. However, these soldiers thought otherwise. This man to them was just another criminal. This crucifixion was just another job. There wasn't any sadness or regret, they were simply trying to finish a job. This story really gave a meaning to, "forgive them, for they know not what they do." I enjoyed breaking down this play with my group because I was able to analyze the speech and actions of solider 4. It really helped me to connect with and deeper understand the biblical narrative as well as this play.

-Eryn Peeler

No comments:

Post a Comment